Monday 30 April 2012

Appliqued Cards

I'd wanted to try to make an appliqued card for a while but for some reason had always put it to the back of my 'project to do list'. I think I'd overcomplicated it in my mind. I made this card rather by accident I must admit. Having completed sewing a bag for a friend's birthday I realised I hadn't  actually got a card for her! As I had my sewing machine out and a selection of fabrics I quickly whipped up this.


When I said I quickly made this, I mean less than five minutes. And that is from the first thought to the finished product. I just used the regular foot on my machine, possibly not as easy as a free hand foot but I don't have one of those..yet. 

Going back to my favourite nature theme I cut out a random petal heart shape for the flower and just made it up as I went along. I think sometimes the most simplistic images, which are a little rough round the edges are the most effective. One thing I did find really helpful was a little pritt stick for the fabric to just hold it in place whilst I sewed along the edges, a wet glue would have soaked through, I just needed to tack it.  The little bee adds a cutesy touch. I did colour some stripes on the bee with a gold pen.

Now I know how simple it is I will be making lots more of these! I'm thinking maybe collections of cards. Different flowers, seasons, even insects?! I used this as a birthday card but it could be used for any occasion. Has anybody else in blogworld tried this charming past time?

No comments:

Post a Comment